Tuesday, January 17, 2012

New Quirks

            Over the past week and a half I have been getting used to new classes. Which means new professors who each have their own syllabus, and like things a particular way. Yes the beginning of another semester. I actually greatly dislike the beginning of new classes. I am not a fan of learning all of a professor’s quirks. The way they like the headers on papers, how they want assignments turned in, and how hard their tests are. I don’t like getting use to a whole new set of rules. Why do professors get to be so picky?
            A little dramatic, yes but I just want to get into the swing of things and forget learning the minor details that each professor throws at me. As a nurse isn’t it more important that I’m learn about diseases and how to treat people instead of where to put my name on a page? I just get really excited when I'm in some of my classes, which sounds kind of weird. Since when is any kid excited about a class, other than kindergarden? I just want to be a nurse so badly, I want to leave the classroom and go out into the hospital or to wherever God is calling me! I want to learn so I am prepared and equipped to treat and care for patients with the best of my ability. But I need the knowledge to get there first, and I don't want these silly little details standing in my way.
            In the end it's not about the professor's quirks, it's about mine. My impatient quirks that have me itching to travel the world treating children in third world countries who die daily of diseases we easily prevent. Diseases caused dirty drinking water, malnutrition, and diarrhea. Working somewhere with orphanages or hospitals in Africa or Asia because God has called me to go and care for His creation! To bring mercy, hope, joy, and healing around the globe in His name. And I get impatient when a bunch of professors try to slow this process by telling me where my name goes on a silly paper. That paper isn't going to save that child's life! So in the end I guess it's my quirks that are getting in the way, not theirs. And I am going to have to grow to be more patient.
           I am really interested in my classes this semester though! I am taking an anthropology class, which I have no experience with and it’s actually really interesting. We were talking about how a McDonald’s in China is called Americanization, but a Chinese restaurant in America is just another meal. And then I’m taking three classes focusing on chronic illnesses. Overall it should be a very interesting semester!
*Joy of the day: getting to see friends again that I wasn’t able to see over break! Laughter truly is the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment