Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rainy Thursday

            I love the rain. I love the sound it makes when it hit my umbrella. I love the way it seems to dance as it falls. I love the way it has of calming everyone down a little bit. I love how everyone’s umbrellas, rain jackets and rain boots make the gray pop with color. I love how beautiful the rain truly is.
            Sometimes rain does have a way of changing your plans, but they usually just make your plans a little cozier. You’re given a free pass to curl up with a blanket and a cup of tea, or to do crafts, or to snuggle up with friends and watch a movie. While there may be other things that you’d like to be doing that the rain has prevented, look around and see what you get to do because of the rain!
            If it weren’t raining this morning I wouldn’t have worn my favorite scarf, to have that extra hug around my neck. I wouldn’t have come back right after class, snuggled in with my fuzzy blanket, turned on calming music and gotten a lot of work done. I wouldn’t have changed lunch plans to eat with a friend who I haven’t seen in weeks. I wouldn’t get to see little pieces of personality on campus through people’s umbrella choices. I wouldn’t have made myself a cup of my favorite tea and eaten a cookie from my grandma. There are so many things that I would have missed this morning if it were sunny!

            Like so many other things God puts in my life, rain has a way of making me calm down. This week I have been rushing around getting ready for this test, trying to keep up with my other classes, trying to keep myself healthy, and still stay in touch with society. It’s already Thursday, and I am tired. I had a list of things to do today, but because it’s raining I just want to stay wrapped in my blanket and do those things later. So that’s what I plan to do! God gave me rain today to rest. To calm down, take a step back, and just listen. This is why I love the rain. It forces me to let God be God, and for me to rest. Exodus 14:14 says “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” The rain forces me to be still, to let God fight for me because I am only going to wear myself out.
            On days when I wake up and it’s raining, I’m excited! I’m excited to rest, to be snuggly and to put my to-do list aside because it will still be there tomorrow. The rain is a reminder that I am human, and I am constantly wearing myself out and if I don’t take these moments to rest God will give me opportunities to seek His peace. Today I am thankful for rain.
*Joy of the day: Dry socks! I didn’t realize my rain boots had holes in the bottoms of them, so when I cam back from class my feet were wet and cold. I’ve never been more excited for dry and warm socks!

Some of my favorite rainy things: 

1 comment:

  1. I love you positive attitude, ("look around and see what you get to do because of the rain!") Such a great perspective to be reminded of :) Often we see things as interruptions rather than opportunities (rain included!) Thank you for sharing, Sarah :)
    P.S I love waking up to a rainy day, too- it is very calming and has a way of slowing things down and making them cozy

    ReplyDelete