Saturday, December 31, 2011

Germs

Stuffed germs! (A must for nursing...)
            For the past couple of days I’ve been a victim of preschool germs. My half sister (I’ll call her Goober here) had been sick for the past couple of days with something a friend gave her at preschool. Despite my efforts of hand washing and avoiding coughs, I caught the germs. While I’m feeling much better now the beginning of this week was a little rough, but through all this sickness I’ve enjoyed one thing. Rest.
        My favorite part about being sick (sounds backwards right?) is that you have nothing to do, no schedule to keep, all you need to do is rest. As I began to feel better it was nice just to lounge around, without a busy schedule to keep up and coffee dates to go to. I enjoyed watching 27 Dresses and Tangled over and over again, dozing off when I wanted to! It was the first time in a long while that I had been able to read for pleasure.  While I wanted to be up finishing some dresses that I had started or putting the back on my quilt, these germs kept me in bed getting some well needed rest.
        In Genesis when God created the earth even He took a day of rest. “Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.” If the creator of heaven and earth took a day to rest, then shouldn’t I? Why should it take a bunch of preschool germs to make me rest? Shouldn’t I take care of myself and take a step back from the full schedule, the to-do lists, and the rushing?
        My sick days were a good reminder that I need to rest or God will make me rest, because we weren’t meant to live these fast pace lifestyles that most of us have found ourselves trapped in. And it’s okay to put aside the to-do lists and just relax. Take time in your busy week for yourself, to rest and restore yourself both mentally and physically. God didn’t intend for people to go seven days a week, but to follow His example and rest! One of my favorite Psalms starts with “truly my soul finds rest in God (Psalm 62:1).” It is a good reminder that God will restore me when I’m weary and tired. So if you’re tired, run down, exhausted turn to God and He will give you rest, peace, and hope.
*Joy of the Day: watching girlie movies with my mommy, all snuggled up with warm cups of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment