Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby Brother

Today my little brother turns two officially! While we have already had the party, and in his mind he is already two since he ate the cake, today is the official day of celebration. I remember sitting in church on Sunday morning, getting a text from my dad saying the baby was on the way and that he’d call when he could. Since he was a premature baby things were a little different, he was about two months early and the first couple of days we couldn’t even hold him. But now you wouldn’t know the difference! Today Sean is crazy, sweet, fun Sean!
Baby Sean with the IV in his little head.
He was so snuggly, even then!
            The Easter Bunny brought him home and was a surprise to Shannon when she woke up on Easter morning (probably not the surprise she really wanted!). Over the past two years I’ve loved to watch Sean grow and change and develop his big personality. Though I’ve been away at school for most of his life he still greets me with absolute excitement when I come home. He loves trucks and trains, playing with Shannon, running around outside, reading books, and learning new things!
The first time the terrific three was all together!
            Sean has brought me indescribable joy. He makes me feel loved, he makes me laugh, and he makes it hard to say goodbye. God’s shown me how love doesn’t have barriers, I wasn’t around for the part of Sean’s development when he was learning who people were and yet he still loves me a lot. Sean shows me how to be excited for everything, because everything to him is still so new and it allows me to see the world through his wondering perspective! Matthew 18:3 tells of when Jesus is talking and “he said: ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’”
            God has used Sean to remind me of this verse constantly! Children are awestruck by the world and God’s wonderful creation; they want to experience every part of it. And they also believe full heartedly, without fear or holding back. Just like we should follow God and his commands. The children knew Jesus better than the adults because the trusted him and through that they were able to witness the amazing things that he wanted to show them. That is the kind of faith I want, and that is the kind of faith and perspective that Sean reminds me to have.
The boy who stole my heart!
            Today I celebrate my baby brother. Who will always be the tiniest little baby with the biggest heart, who got my genes for height but has a personality to fill the room, and who has a wonderstruck perspective of the world that inspires me daily. I love you little buddy!
*Joy of the day: Knowing that I will always have a buddy, not matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment