Friday, March 16, 2012

Spring Break

            Last week was my spring break, and it was indeed a much needed break. Many of my friends went of mission trips or vacations, but I just went home which was all I needed! It was a week full of family, crafts, and friends. I didn’t do a single piece of homework, which is hard to believe but that is what I needed to do in order to fully rest.

The dump truck birthday cake was a hit!
forks are for babies!
            The first weekend I was home we celebrated my little brother’s 2nd birthday, even though his birthday is not till later this month, in his eyes he is now officially two! It was full of trucks and trains, cake, crazy children, and a sleepy birthday boy. The poor kid didn’t make it through his own party; he fell asleep while we were watching “I’m Elmo and I Know It” on my phone. But I was in heaven! He’s past the point of falling asleep while you’re holding him so this was a rare and special treat for me especially since I am only home every so often!
All dressed up to see the Lorax
            Later in the week I was able to have my little sister skip school (teaching her good habits early!) and take her to see the Lorax. It was so special to get time to spend with just her, and she thought so too since she decide the event called for her special Christmas dress! She’s almost five now, and quite the little chatterbox. I got to hear all about school, her friends, swimming classes, and my favorite quote was “BigSis there was this monster in Monsters Inc. who coughed without covering his mouth and he got germs everywhere!” I am so proud that I have taught her well at such an early age! For the movie she decided that she would much rather sit on my lap then in her own chair, which I didn’t mind at all. So we snuggled and watched the Lorax, which was quite cute!
            Through out the week I enjoyed spending time with various friends from high school and catching up with them. I only got to see a few of them, and I wish I had made time to see other people who were home. But the people that I did see are the types of friends who you pick up where you left off, and those are the friends that you never truly left. I got to hear about how God is working in their lives, whether they see that or not, and hear all about their plans for next year as this school year starts to draw to a close. I love hearing stories from freshman about their college experiences because without fail God has put them where they needed to be, put people in their lives when they needed it and shown them his love without fail. And that is something joyful to hear!
            All week I seemed to have different craft projects going! And let me just say it was wonderful. I covered a mason jar, made hair flowers/bows, recovered my Bible, made two skirts, made a dress for a friend, made cupcakes, made two wristlets, started a bag (I couldn’t find handles to finish it), made a shirt with my roomie (tutorial and pictures coming soon!!!), made an infinity scarf, I made dinner a couple of times… and I think that’s it! There will be another post coming soon with all of the things I did along with links to tutorials from other wonderful blogs that I found over break!
Watching Veggie Tales- my personal favorite!
            While I was very ready for a break I had a physiology test the Friday that we got back that I knew I should be studying for over break but made the conscious decision not to. I made the decision to rest. We had talked a lot this semester at large group for InterVarsity about Sabbath and resting, so I took my break to rest. I surrendered my worries and anxieties to God about my test and school work, so I could enjoy this break with him and relax. God used that week to restore me and give me energy and motivation to study hard this week for my test. 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxieties on him for he cares for you.” I relied on that verse during break, because God cares for me, and he is bigger than my anxieties. And His plans for his kingdom are bigger than any physiology test; therefore I have nothing to worry about. So I rested, not only from schoolwork but in His promises and it was a wonderful break!
*Joy of the Day: getting to catch up with a sweet friend over lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment