Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Candy Cane

I finally unpacked! Well at least a few things because my class starts soon and I need my backpack, a notebook, and the other basic school needs. I began to  unpack my backpack, gleefully throwing out old papers that I no longer needed, when I came across a candy cane. I began to feel all warm inside, and a little teary.

Now if you didn't think I was crazy before, now I'm crying over a candy cane. But this isn't any old candy cane, this one is special and it's been through a lot! I got it during Christmas times and didn't want it, so I offered it to my suitemate Kelly who didn't want it either. Naturally I decided to hide it so I wouldn't have to deal with it! It started off in a pretty obvious spot, attached to the whiteboard on Kelly's door. Kelly retaliated by hiding it in my room, and it became a game!

The candy cane was hidden in a variety of places! Some creative, some silly, and some ridiculous. In the fridge, a box of tea, under her pillow, in my laptop case (it fell out during class making me look like a nut!), backpack, wallet, shoes, make-up bag, hanging on a hanger with clothes, and many others. We got creative. It was fun to know that I had a little surprise to find, and it was always a little victory when I stumbled upon it.

Kelly and I are now states apart, and we won't be living together next year but I got one last little surprise from her. A candy cane, that seemed so silly and insignificant at the time but now reminds me of what a sweet friend I will always have! Who knew all that could come from a candy cane?

*Joy of the day: Finally getting to hang up my pictures, making my room feel a little more like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment