Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I don't think I'm at school anymore...

     The school year officially ended on Friday, and I am still not unpacked. Instead I just go through the boxes and grab what I need when I need it, then it usually ends up on my floor. I don't know why I haven't unpacked! It would make life a lot easier, it would make my room a lot safer, and it really won't take that long. But here I am, watching a marathon of "Top Chef" and staring at the boxes.
My car after it was all packed!
     Maybe unpacking means acknowledging that the school year is over. Don't mistake me, I'm excited to be home for summer and to be with my family and friends here, but I enjoyed this school year so immensely that I am not ready to see it end. I met so many wonderful people who influenced me in big ways, I got to grow much closer to friends and see them continue to mature, I got to experience some of my first real nursing classes, and I got a glimpse at what my future may hold! Why would I want to admit any of that is done for now?
     I am not accustomed to living in a house instead of a dorm. I've done some ridiculous things out of habit because that's how I did it at "home" for eight months! Our dorm was eco-friendly so the lights were automatic, the other night I went downstairs to grab something and got really confused when the lights didn't turn on when I walked by. So I walked back by, then realized I actually had to turn them on. Disappointed, I found what I needed in the dark and when back upstairs. The next day I went and rummaged around in my unpacked mess for my shower shoes, only to remember that I don't need those here. I also walked across the hallway to tell my suitemate something funny, only to remember that she is in another state. And if these things weren't enough I was very confused when I could not figure out why my student ID card wouldn't open my front door. Who knew that coming home would take more getting use to than going to college?
     I've also found myself doing some things outside of my norm. I've been listening to different music, and it has been a pretty big variety of music. I've been watching television shows that I've always deemed as trashy, and while I still think they're trashy there's some sort of comfort in them. I find myself staying up late for no reason, and yet almost waiting for something. Then it clicked, I got so accustomed to living with my suitemates that I don't know what to do without them! I'm doing things that they would do or watching things that they would like because that's how I am use to living. I miss hearing their laughs, waiting to hear their footsteps come down the hall, snuggling with them on the couch, or our last night dance party.
Miss them!
     Despite all of these things I am looking forward to this summer! There are a lot of things I have to do, and a lot of things I have been blessed with. Stay tuned for more on what my summer holds! ~Philippians 4:11-13
*Joy of the week: A sweet friend took my pictures off my wall and packed up my bed in my dorm so I didn't have to face that I was leaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment